1828 Pavilion Circle,
Charlottesville, VA 22911

Frequently Asked Questions

FLCA Membership

Who is a member of FLCA?

All homeowners in Forest Lakes are automatically members of the Forest Lakes Community Association (FLCA). More information is on the “Community" page

What do my FLCA assessments pay for?

Assessments are used to pay the on-going expenses of the association.  Major expenses include our amenities, insurance, management company, trash and recycle collection, facility maintenance, and common area maintenance, including mowing, landscaping, irrigation systems, signs, lakes, and paths.  All homeowners have an undivided interest in all amenities and common areas.

How much are my homeowners assessments, when are they due, and what payment options do I have?

Association assessments are levied on each household within Forest Lakes. These assessments pay the Association’s expenses including all amenities, insurance, management company, trash and recycle collection, facility and common area maintenance, and other expenses necessary to maintain the community.

Current annual assessments are $1092.00, paid in quarterly installments of $273.00 due the first of January, April, July, and October.

Payments are made out to FLCA and mailed to :  Community Group, Inc., PO Box 27878, Newark, NJ 07101-7898.  Please put your account number on your check and include your quarterly coupon.

Homeowners should receive an annual coupon book before the first quarter with 4 coupons – one for each quarterly assessment. Please be reminded that quarterly payments received after the 15th of the month in which they are due, will be charged a Notice Fee. Further collection notices will also incur fees. See the collection policy approved by the Board of Directions. Trash fees for County Waste are included in the quarterly assessments.

Residents have these payment options
For assessment and billing inquiries, call the FLCA Office, 434.973.4596, or e-mail

Who runs/governs the FLCA?

The homeowner’s association is managed by a 7-member Board that is elected to a one or two-year term by homeowners. Typically, each Director is assigned a specific position (e.g., President, Vice-President, Treasurer, etc.) and/or take lead responsibility to oversee and address various operational issues (e.g., maintenance, finance, security, architectural review).  More information is on the Board page.

Property Changes and Architectural Review

Can I make changes to my property without FLCA review and approval?

The short answer is no.  All external changes to your property, including but not limited to significant landscaping, tree removal, fences, sheds, color changes of siding, doors, shutters, and home additions must be approved in advance by the FLCA Architectural Review Board (ARB).  Information on the ARB and the approval process is included on the Architectural Review Board page.


Are dogs required to be on a leash in Forest Lakes?

Yes, dogs are required to be on a leash at all times when off the owner’s property.

My neighbor's dog barks all the time, what can I do?

Per FLCA Rules and Regulations barking dogs must be brought inside.  If this isn’t happening, usually the best approach is to discuss the problem with your neighbor.  If that doesn’t work, call the FLCA office at 434.973.4596 or write a letter to FLCA (1828 Pavilion Circle, Charlottesville, VA 22911).  The Site Manager and/or Board will work with you to decide what action is necessary.

Are residents required to pick up after their dog?

Per FLCA Rules and Regulations residents must pick up after their pets within Forest Lakes. This includes on all common areas, along the paths, in yards – basically everywhere. Please be considerate to your neighbors and their children and pick up after your pet.

Common Area Maintenance (e.g., mowing, trees)

Who do I contact if I have a common area maintenance concern?

Contact the FLCA office at 434.973.4596 or email  If you live in a townhome or duplex neighborhood and have a maintenance concern related to that neighborhood, see the contact for your townhome or duplex association on the Contacts page.


I want to report an emergency situation related to FLCA property, who do I call?

Always call 911 FIRST if you see anything suspicious or need to report a crime or emergency.  You may then call the FLCA office to inform them of what you’ve reported.  For after hour building emergencies call the Community Group Emergency Hotline at 804-254-0427.

Are Airbnb type rentals allowed in Forest Lakes?

Airbnb rental, short-term rentals or any type of transient lodging rental are not allowed in Forest Lakes.  Please see the resolution adopted by the FLCA Board of Directors.

Who is responsible for roads and snow plowing in Forest Lakes?

The majority of roads in Forest Lakes are maintained (snow plowed and paved) by VDOT.

In the sub associations, some of the roads are privately maintained. Call your sub association property manager for clarification. Who manages your sub association can be found on the Contacts page. The first roads to be plowed are Interstates and those considered primary travel routes. When those have been cleared, the secondary and neighborhood roads are plowed. Often, cul de sacs are done last.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, you may call VDOT directly at 434.FOR.ROAD.

How do I get in the Forest Lakes Directory?

The directory is published by the FLCA. Here is the form to get your name in the directory. Only those who wish to have their name added or make corrections need to submit a form.

To obtain a current published directory, visit the association office. Hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm.

I am selling my house and need a Disclosure Packet. How do I get one?

You are required by the Virginia Homeowner’s Act to provide an FLCA Disclosure Packet to potential buyers. The packet contains a variety of legal documents, the budget and related materials, and confirms the status of assessment payments (past due assessments will be deducted at settlement).

In accordance with the Virginia Homeowner’s Act, an exterior inspection of your home will be done by Community Group to identify to your buyer any exterior improvements that have a prior ARB approval on file and that the exterior condition is in compliance with FLCA guidelines. If there are ARB violations, this will also be noted and should be rectified by the seller before ownership is transferred.

All disclosure packet transactions are done online.  To order a disclosure packet:

1.  Go to

2.  At the top of the page, click on “Order Resale Documents"

3.  Under “Place an Order" click on Associa Community Group

4.  Click on First Time User and Register.

5.  Scroll down to “owner, seller, realtor".

From there you will need to enter your information.  Have the documents emailed to you to avoid postage costs.  If you have a realtor, they may order the documents for you.

Typical turn-around time to receive your documents is 7-10 business days.  If necessary, a “rush” can be put on the order for an additional fee.

In addition, if you own property that has a sub-association, you will also need to obtain the required Disclosure Packet for your sub-association. For all subassociations other than Gateway, the website to order disclosure packets is For Gateway residents, go to

How do I get a new mailbox or nameplate?

Forest Lakes requires a specific type of mailbox and nameplate. For more information and specific on the mailbox regulations, see Addendum I of the Resident Rules and Regulations Mailboxes can be purchased at Lowe’s. See the guidelines below for the correct size to purchase. Posts must be maintained and painted white. For nameplates (or post/mailbox maintenance), see mailbox regulations and services sheet for exact specifications and who can perform these services for you.

My question isn't answered here......or.....I have a concern and need to contact one of the Directors; who do I call?

If you can’t find the information you need here or elsewhere on the Web site, call the FLCA office at 434-973-4596 or send an e-mail to The Site Manager or one of the Board members will return your call or e-mail. Contact email for the Board is

Other Information

Jefferson-Madison Library at Forest Lakes

The Jefferson-Madison Regional Library Bookmobile visits the North parking lot the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month from 2:00 – 2:30 pm.  Take this opportunity to check out some books without having to drive several miles (or drive at all!).

Grass Clippings

A number of Forest Lakes residents bag their lawn clippings and place them in the trash or put them on a compost pile.  While composting can seem like the environmentally friendly thing to do, it can also create an unsightly and smelly problem as the grass rots, particularly for your neighbors downwind.  In addition, compost piles in the common areas are prohibited.  Putting the clippings in the trash adds waste to landfills.

One solution to this is to use a mulching mower to mulch the clippings back into your lawn.  Grassclippings contain about 85% water, along with nitrogen and other nutrients.  As such, they provide needed moisture and about 25% of your lawn’s total fertilizer needs!  Lawn care companies actually recommend that you mulch the clippings back into your lawn.  In addition, it takes a lot less time to mow your lawn!

But, doesn’t mulching contribute to thatch?  No, that’s a common myth.  Because of the high moisture content, clippings decompose rapidly when filtered into your lawn.

Recycling and Trash Tips

County Waste is the approved trash removal company in Forest Lakes.  They provide trash and recycling pickup in two separate containters.  Trash pick-up is every Wednesday.  You may leave your toters out on Tuesday evening, leaving enough space between the two for the automatic arms of the trash truck to pick up each toter.

Here are some additional trash and recyle tips:

  • Recycling – what goes in and what doesn’t
  • Place containers with the opening facing the street.
  • Cut and bundle not more than 3ft in length vegetation trimmings.
  • Don’t put out more than 10 bags of leaves or yard waste per pickup.
  • Don’t put your container out until the evening before pickup and bring it in by Wednesday evening.
  • Trash toters should not be stored in view of the street.